Ryanair luggage policy
Ryanair updated their cabin baggage policy – check out the new requirements
Up until last summer, Ryanair allowed passengers to bring cabin bags of relatively bigger size. I was able to bring a small suitcase on board the plane multiple times during my last travels. However, their policy has now changed. Only a small sized carry on bag is allowed without an additional fee.
Hand luggage policy
- You can bring one small personal bag on board with size 25 x 20 x 40 cm
- The bag must fit under the seat in front of you
- If you bring a second bag to the gate or if your bag is too big, you will be charged EUR 25
Find out more about Ryanair’s baggage policy here.
Additional luggage options
- For a fee of EUR 6 you can bring two cabin bags – a small one to fit under the seat in front of you and a bigger cabin bag (max 10 kg) to be stored in the overhead compartment
- Check-in baggage – a bag of 10 kg can be added for a fee or EUR 10 to your luggage. It must be dropped at the check-in desk prior to your flight and collected at the arrival airport
Where you can buy your carry-on bag to take on board
With such specific requirements for carry on luggage, shopping for the specific bag may be difficult. You need to make sure the sizing is correct, otherwise you may be charged at the gate.
My advice is to check in this useful article that shows you bags that fit the requirements and where to buy them: Best hand luggage and cabin bags to take on Ryanair and other budget airlines
Looking for the perfect on board bag? Make sure also to check my new article: Underseat bags for Ryanair flights
Luggage policy of other budget airlines
Wizzair has a more lenient policy for cabin bags – they allow a bag of 55 x 40 x 23 cm to be taken on board, which is bigger than their previous size allowance.
Easyjet allow an even bigger cabin bag – up to 56 x 45 x 25 cm with the wheels and and handles can be taken on board.
In my opinion, the new policy of Ryanair for cabin bags is rather inconvenient. I would prefer to fly with another airline even if the price for the flight is higher.
Which is the airline you use the most and how would you rate their cabin baggage policy, do you think it needs to be updated?